Postdoctoral Fellow – GIS and Land Use Modeller
* There have been 0 applications for this position
* This job opening has been viewed 48 times
About this jobReference number: PDF-2011-14-AN
Apply by: 22 June 2011
This three year position is for a GIS specialist with strong modeling skills to work on an IRRI-led CPWF project in the coastal zones of the Ganges in Bangladesh, namely Project G1 (Resource profiles, extrapolation domains and land-use plans). G1 is one of 5 projects in the Ganges basin related to more productive, profitable, resilient, and diversified rice-based cropping systems in the coastal zones of BGD. The successful applicant will work closely with team members in all 5 projects to develop resource profiles at selected experimental sites and of the Southwest coastal zone; extrapolation domains to determine where new technologies are most likely to be successful land use plans under current and different hydrological scenarios in the future.
- Work with G1 project partners and data providers in Bangladesh to create a geodatabase of relevant information in the coastal zone of the Ganges Basin, such as soil and salinity profiles, hydrological information, land use / land cover, socioeconomic data and infrastructure at 1:50,000 scale or better.
- Use this geodatabase to derive resource characterization profiles for the experimental sites and polders where the related Ganges projects are working.
- Work with the Project Leader, other senior project members and the basin project partners and stakeholders to develop a robust methodology to determine ‘what work’s where’ by mapping the extrapolation domains for the technologies and policies promoted by the other basin projects.
- Work with project partners to update or develop a current land use plan and maps of future land use change under plausible future hydrological scenarios. This will be conducted in close collaboration with the G4 project responsible for hydrological modeling of the coastal zone of the Ganges basin.
- Consult and work with project partners and stakeholders throughout the duration of the project on matters related to spatial analysis and map provision
- Publish scientific outputs through national and international journals, proceedings, conferences, and workshops.
- Based in Dhaka, with frequent field trips to the coastal zone of Bangladesh
- PhD in Geography, water or land management or related fields
- At least 5-years hands-on experience on GIS, spatial analysis, resource management and rice based cropping systems in South Asia
- Experienced in working in multi-partner research and development programs.
- Good experience in land use modeling, multi-criteria evaluation methods and statistical analysis tools such as R.
- Good writing skills, and have a good publication record
Screening will start on 22 June 2011 and will continue until a suitable candidate has been found.
Please indicate the position reference number in the e-mail subject line. IRRI regrets that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IRRI provides a multicultural work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity, with a competitive compensation and benefit package. Women are encouraged to apply.
Join us to deliver rice science for a better world
Interested candidates should apply online (click apply now). Should you encounter problems applying online please email at IRRIRecruitment@irri.org.
Shared by Andy Nelson at IRRI – Please help Andy spread the word!